Tag Archives: FBI

COUNTDOWN: Biggest U.S. News Events of the 2010s

As we wrap up the decade and start a countdown towards welcoming a new one, the Michigan Herald Tribune staff wanted to look back at some of the most impactful events of the 2010s. While this list is not exhaustive, we believe it captures some of the most impactful events that have or are likely to shape our world in the decades to come. Here is our countdown of the biggest news events in the United States this decade.

11. Avengers: Endgame tops 2.8 billion as highest grossing film of all time. Endgame beat out the precious record-holder, Avatar. (2019)
No entertainment company dominated the decade like Marvel Studios and this 2019 film culminated a decade of dominance by becoming the highest grossing film of all time. The movie also broke the record for fastest to 2 billion in box office sales after just 11 days, breaking the previous mark held by Avatar (47 days).

10. CIA contractor, Edward Snowden, leaks news of widespread illegal National Security Agency data collection of American citizens. (2013)
Edward Snowden leaked what may have been the biggest governmental scandal of the decade when documents were released via Wikileaks detailing a widespread spy operation that warrantlessly collected data on American citizens.

9. UberCab launches its service in San Francisco, California. (2010)
The growth of the “gig economy” and ride-sharing apps changed the landscape and definition of public transportation across major US cities before spreading to communities across the nation. The popularity of such apps infiltrated to other industries and companies such as Airbnb, Lyft and VRBO to name a few.

8. Streaming Video Platforms (2010s)
Nothing has seemingly changed more than the consumption of video media in the United States over the last ten years. Video stores, theaters and cable tv have all receded into near obscurity over the last decade as Netflix, HULU, AmazonPrime, YouTube and various other companies have dominated the space.

7. Facebook becomes the world’s largest photo host. (2011)
Perhaps one of the biggest cultural paradigm shifts of the decade was the ubiquitous nature of social media. Proof of concept became increasingly clear when Facebook became the world’s largest photo host.

6. Rise of ISIS. (2014)
ISIS declared the establishment of its caliphate in 2014 during the second presidential term of Barack Obama, making waves across the middle east and beyond. By 2019, however, ISIS had been widely defeated in the region, leading President Donald Trump to announce that ISIS had been defeated as an established force.

5. Same sex marriage is made legal across all 50 states by Supreme Court decision. (2015)
The supreme court decision in Obergefell v. Hodges swiftly struck down gay marriage limitations across the United States. The decision followed the early part of the decade’s shift towards increasing LGBT rights and major politicians such as Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton flipping camps to support the measure.

4. Election of Donald Trump as president over Hillary Clinton (2016)
In what may be the biggest upset in US political history, Donald Trump became the 45th president of the United States after overcoming 3% or less odds to attain the office in his bid against Hillary Clinton. Oddsmakers had a Clinton presidency riding at 97% or above in the days leading up to the election.

3. First cross country commercial freight delivery completed by self-driving semitruck. (2019)
While the institution of this change to American commerce may take several years to materialize. It is certain that this moment will be looked back on as a defining one in the history of the US and global economy. Self-driving commercial trucking is destined to shape industry in ways not unlike the invention of automobiles, themselves.

2. Raid on Osama bin Laden’s compound ends in assignation of al Qaeda’s top man.
Following the biggest story of the previous decade, the destruction of the World Trade Center Buildings on 9/11, a team of Navy Seals, known as Seal Team 6, underwent a daring late-night raid on a compound housing global terrorist figurehead, Osama bin Laden. The raid ended in the killing of bin Laden and the acquisition of valuable intelligence in the fight against global terror networks. (2011)

1. Amazon.com (2010s)
Nothing has likely shaped industry more than the growth of Amazon.com. The website has been an absolute juggernaut that expanded from a used book site to offering every product imaginable at the click of the mouse and free two-day shipping. The website singlehandedly has kept shippers such as UPS, FedEx and the U.S. Postal Service throughout the decade and even expanded into marketing its own products and services, which it now couples with its third party brands. Amazon has redrawn the entire map of the global economy and shaped the future for the foreseeable future.

Just Outside the List:
1. Donald Trump becomes first president to enter North Korea after meeting with Kim Jong Un in DMZ. (2019)
2. Hurricane Sandy makes landfall in NYC and other northeast cities. (2012)
3. Political movements: Occupy Wall Street (2011), TEA Party (2013), Black Lives Matter (2014), #MeToo (2017)
4. Mass Shootings/Terrorism: Boston Marathon Bombing (2013), Pulse Nightclub Shooting (2016), Las Vegas Shooting (2017), Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting (2012), Aurora Movie Theater Shooting (2012), Marjory Stoneman Douglas Shooting (2018).
5. Rise of “Fake News” term. (2016)
6. FISA abuses and FBI surveillance of the Trump presidential campaign. (2016-2019)
7. Repeal of Don’t Ask Don’t Tell policy in U.S. military (2011)

ABC Anchor Details Epstein Story Being Spiked by Execs in Leaked Video

A shocking revelation swept online forums and, no doubt, corporate boardrooms at ABC this week as James O’Keefe’s Project Veritas group released leaked video of Good Morning America and 20/20 co-anchor, Amy Robach, making stunning accusations in August regarding editorial decisions at ABC as far back as 2016. Robach divulges distressing information of ABC’s alleged spiking of a story involving notorious pedophile and financier, Jeffrey Epstein, and several global power players, ranging from Prince Andrew to Bill Clinton.

Robach’s troubling claims in the video have been answered by defensive press releases from ABC, which aims to fight back against the onslaught of negative public reaction. ABC argues in the statement that the story did not rise to the required limits of their network’s journalistic standard, but continued to investigate in the past three years.

Robach informs her producer, sitting off screen in the video, that the Epstein story, which had just broke following his arrest in August was something she had long known and worked to expose at least as early as 2016. She alleges to have convinced Virginia Roberts (now Guiffre) to come forward and tell her story. She goes on to explain that Guiffre made several other pieces of corroborating evidence, including photographs, and witnesses available to ABC.

However, critics have been quick to point to a host of other recent stories that have seemingly passed ABC’s journalistic muster, only to be quickly debunked or presented by the outlet with little to no corroborating evidence (See: Jussie Smollet, Covington Catholic Students, Brett Kavanaugh accusers).

Further complicating the public perception of the story, the timeline of events detailed by Robach fall in line with the run up to the 2016 presidential election. Bill Clinton’s alleged involvement and Guiffre’s accusations cause additional concern that the story was dumped for less than ABC’s “journalistic standards.” As Robach mentions, “there were a lot of powerful men,” surrounding Epstein and this all seems to continue to stoke the fires of public conspiracy theories regarding Epstein’s pedophile ring and recent death.

Robach concludes by saying what many in professional circles and general public have argued in recent weeks: “Epstein did not kill himself.”

This story continues to develop and may pose serious legal problems for ABC. While the story may or may not have risen to the level of reporting from the anchor desk, it remains to be seen if these apparent victim statements and other pieces of evidence were turned over by ABC to the FBI or other law enforcement. The requirement to disclose even suspected incidences of child abuse to authorities is mandated by Federal and New York State law, though such laws may not always apply to journalists. Calls have been raised for ABC to release the interview in the wake of Epstein’s operation being roundly verified.